How annoying would it be to spend hundreds of dollars on a soundbar that promises great features but makes dialogues on your favorite tv show incomprehensible?
We’re saving you from hours of research as we’ve tested and listed soundbars that actually deliver clear voice, speech, and dialogue that won’t make you rely on subtitles alone.
Top 3 Soundbars for Dialogue & Voice Clarity – Reviews & Buying Guide
1 – Sonos Beam – Smart TV Soundbar with Alexa Built-In
For the music lovers and movie lovers, this best soundbar for dialogue is for you. Sound bars for TVs should have certain standard features, and with the Sonos Beam you can control what matters to you – which is dialogue clarity.
You can control the app with your voice, the compatible app or with an old-fashioned remote control. What makes this option one of the best for clear dialogue? The fact that it’s specially tuned by Oscar-winning sound engineers of course!
They tuned it to enhance human voices, bringing a whole other level of clarity when you play games, watch movies or tv shows.
With Amazon Alexa built-in with this best soundbar, the voice control works to manage everything hands-free! This has an easy setup, similar to Yamaha. Go from unboxing to using the product in a matter of minutes.
The smart device will automatically check the remote and the rest is easy to set! It has a high price tag for those that have a set budget, but it’s reasonable since you really get what you want in upgrading the TV sound.
The Sonos soundbar connects to the HDMI ARC port, and it comes with the HDMI cable ready. If there’s no HDMI ARC port on your TV, you can use an adapter. It also uses Bluetooth Low Energy, but you can’t stream music.
If you want a 5.1 sound system, Sonos also offers one with their Playbar 5.1 model. But you can also purchase a set of rear speakers to add to the Sonos Beam bar for a greater audio experience. Adding a set of speakers would take this to another level.
The only downside is that the Beam still doesn’t support DTS or DTS:X virtual surround sound to boost the speaker power. DTS:X virtual would’ve taken the audio experience up a notch. Check this product VS the Bose Solo 5.
Still, this sound bar works for those just looking to improve voice clarity in movies and TV shows.
- It enhances dialogue voice clarity like no other, thanks to the Oscar-winning engineers.
- Use voice control features with Amazon Alexa voice assistant, remote, or app.
- The Beam soundbar has an easy setup with just two connections, thanks to the dedicated manufacturer who puts your convenience and ease first.
- The overall review of the sound bar speaks for itself, this is an amazing soundbar for improving quality of voices.
- Make the most use out of watching movies and TV shows with the best sound bar for dialogue.
- You can also buy a rear speaker to the soundbar to add more depth
- Connect the soundbar via HDMI, use the adapter if there’s no HDMI ARC port.
- Price is a bit steep
2 – Bose Solo 5 TV Soundbar Sound System
Check out the next in our reviews. This best soundbar for dialogue clarity knocks your built-in TV speaker out of the water. It has a relatively low price compared to others in these reviews.
The dialogue mode makes the voices stand out so you can hear every word and detail. You can get the full theater sound with your soundbar tv.
This lightweight Bose Solo 5 soundbar includes wireless Bluetooth technology so it works seamlessly when streaming music via Bluetooth. Connect to your TV with options such as optical digital cable, coaxial audio and 3.5mm aux inputs.
With a universal remote, you can even control everything from the TV, to the powerful bass levels, soundbar connections and more. Control everything on this best soundbar right at your fingertips. Many soundbars have this, such as some Yamaha ones.
The Bose soundbar is a compact design that can be flexible with placement. Mount this one on the wall or you can do without by laying it flat on your entertainment system.
- Enhances the full voice clarity of the dialogue with dialogue mode and produces one of the best built in sounds.
- You get the most power out of your bass — great when you watch movies or play games
- This Bose soundbar features a compact design with easy setup.
- Features music streaming support via Bluetooth
- Choose between optical cable, coaxial audio and aux inputs to connect the sound bar
- Great TV speaker replacement for a low price
- Customer service might not be that responsive at times.
3 – Samsung 2.1 Soundbar HW-R450 with Wireless Subwoofer
The next option in our reviews of the best soundbars for voice clarity comes with a wireless subwoofer for deep bass and earth shattering sounds. Get the oomph you are looking for in voices with the powerful wireless sub.
Why it does a great number on the quality of the dialogue clarity is because this smart soundbar will automatically check and analyze the content to figure out the new settings. The result is the best experience no matter what you are watching.
Aside from the impressive full voice clarity, this good sound bar also comes with a game mode. Check it out as it allows you to tear down the opponent and play more victories in style.
You wouldn’t like wires and clutter of technology to come with your sound bar purchase, hence the importance of wireless options in reviews like this. That’s why you can connect this soundbar via Bluetooth, such as many other brands including Yamaha.
Bluetooth works to keep your space neat and tidy while giving you the option for streaming music and other content from your phone.
All of these features are available at this great soundbar at an affordable price that fits the budget.
- One smart soundbar, the Samsung sound bar analyzes the content automatically to ensure you enjoy the movie or play the game with greatly improved voice clarity.
- This 2.1 bar comes with a wireless subwoofer to enhance not only the bass, but also the dialogue clarity for an enjoyable home theater experience right in your living room.
- The Bluetooth connection on this compact sound bar supports streaming and makes your system wireless as well.
- Low price for upgrading your TV sound to a good piece of technology.
- Wireless connectivity might be unstable when there’s a considerable distance between the soundbar and your wireless gadget.
What to Look for When Buying the Best Soundbar for Dialogue Clarity
With the focus on dialogue clarity, there are also one or two factors to look for in reviews before buying in a store or Amazon. This will differ from buying a small soundbar just to enhance the sound. Although a few of the factors do overlap as well. Without further ado, let’s hop right onto the list of what to look for.
The sound modes on a soundbar are different settings to provide the audience with the best quality of sound.
They’re not new technology to home theater sound, but they’re an excellent improvement over a regular speaker system. Vizio, Yamaha, Bose, Sonos, and others have sound modes. There are a few standard ones we know well, including:
- Standard – This is the original state of the audio with nothing enhanced.
- Music – This one is great for Bluetooth support and playing music videos. It enhances music and beats.
- Dialogue – It’s what you should be looking for if speech and clear voice are of importance (we assume it is since you are reading here). They make every word uttered incredibly clear and pronounced for that voice clarity you’re looking for.
- Sports – Get the roar of the audience shaking the entire room and the commentator’s speech with crystal clear clarity with the sports mode.
- Movie – The sound effects are all brought to the surface with this mode for watching movies and tv shows.
- Night – This sort of dumbs and deafens the loud sounds of the content for night time.
The channels in a bar just improve sound quality overall. However many channels your soundbar has, the better the delivery of great sound. It’s where the audio is pumped out of your soundbar. In many reviews, channels range from two to seven.
For your reference 5 is the industry standard for surround sound simulation on a great soundbar. Many brands like Yamaha and Sonos usually have a 5.1 system in their line, commonly for Dolby Atmos support.
The more channels, the more you will feel the audio.
Soundbars can have a separate subwoofer for enhanced bass. Some soundbars even have the sub built in, while others soundbars are so small and compact in size that they have wireless ones.
Wireless subs usually have better sound as they are much bigger compared to the ones embedded inside.
If you want enhanced lower pitched tones, a subwoofer is necessary to make the dialogue good and clear. Though they may come at a higher price in a store or in Amazon, we assure you that stretching the budget is worth it.
Do Soundbars Help with Dialogue?
It really depends. Soundbars like Yamaha, Sonos, and others built with clear voice and good dialogue mode will undoubtedly improve the dialogue because it was made to do so.
However, dialogue might not be the first consideration for a soundbar built for music or heavy bass. But if you find a soundbar that enhances the overall audio quality of TVs, then the dialogue will improve as well.
Atmos is not even really a necessity if you only want to improve the voice clarity aspect only. But if you think rear-firing speakers and upward-firing speakers will give the support you want like in some Yamaha models, then go for it.
What is the Best Sound Bar for Hard of Hearing?
A soundbar built specifically for people with hard of hearing is good. Otherwise, more channels and ones with subwoofers (wired or wireless) will further enhance the entire experience.
DSP settings (which contribute to the sound mode), will also aid those who need a boost to hear clearly.
People tend to think the louder the better, but it’s more about the good quality that the bar gives. Pick and choose between the modes to make specific content boosted.
Also, turning up the soundbar and blowing the speakers can’t be good for our small eardrums either. So while this may earn the belief of many, it’s more about the quality than the loudness.
- Top Soundbars
- Top Soundbars Under $100
- Top Soundbars Under $150
- Top Soundbars Under $300
- Top TCL Roku Soundbars
Although speakers are large in size, they’re still around and they still get a ton of reviews from those who buy them. But soundbars are a great way to maximize the sound of your TV speakers at a lower cost.
In turn, they can also boost your overall experience and may even simulate home theater speakers.
Soundbars with Amazon Alexa built-in are extremely easy to use as these voice assistants handle everything on command — good for those who fancy smart features. These may come at an additional price.
But mostly, even new soundbars are relatively cheap for such essential pieces of technology. Not everyone can afford a home theater system with surround sound speakers, but a soundbar could be the next best thing.
Turn off your captions because you can now hear the conversations much easier on the screen with the best soundbar for dialogue.
Our Top Pick – Sonos Beam
If a soundbar for dialogue clarity is what you are looking for in reviews, nothing beats the Sonos Beam. The voice clarity is set to impress you. How many other manufacturers can say they have had Oscar winning sound engineers tune their devices?
The black/white options of the Sonos Beam works well aesthetically, too.
If that doesn’t close the deal for you, the setup and control of this sound bar should. Use the remote or do it hands-free and the soundbar setup only takes a few minutes! You can also upgrade this with one or two excellent rear speakers to improve the sound of voices.