When most electronic devices act up, the first recommendation by experts, beginners, and customer representatives alike is to do a hard reset. There is a chance that not following the correct instructions could create more problems, but this won’t happen thanks to our media team’s help, which outlines the steps for various remotes.
Identifying Your Fire TV Stick Remote
The steps to reset your Fire Strick remote will vary depending on the device. The first step is to figure out which remote you have. If you don’t know which Fire TV device version you have, just check the packaging.
How to Reset Firestick Remotes
Basic Edition Remote
For the most basic Fire Stick remote version, follow these steps:
- Press the home button and hold it down.
- While pressing the “home”, also press the “menu” button 3 times in a row.
- Let go of the “home” button and press the “menu” button 9 times.
- Then remove the batteries from your Fire TV remote.
- Unplug your Fire TV stick.
- Wait for 1 minute then replace the batteries in the Fire TV remote and plug the Fire TV back in.
- When the Fire TV pops up on the home screen, press and hold the “home” button for 40 seconds.
- Let go after 40 seconds and wait for 1 minute and you’re done!
Alexa Voice Remote (1st Gen)
If you have the Alexa Voice remote 1st generation, then follow the below steps on how to reset a Firestick remote.
- Unplug your Fire TV from the power source and wait for 1 minute.
- Hold the left button on the navigation ring and the “menu” button down at the same time for 12 seconds.
- Let go after 12 seconds and wait for 5 more seconds and then remove the batteries.
- Plug your Fire TV back into the outlet and wait for it to boot up.
- Replace the batteries in the Amazon Firestick TV remote and press the “home” button.
Alexa Voice Remote (2nd Gen)
For those with the 2nd generation Alexa Voice remote, the reset steps are as follows:
- Unplug your Amazon Fire TV stick.
- Find the menu button, left button, and back button, press and hold them at the same time for at least 10 seconds.
- Let go and wait for another 5 seconds.
- Remove the batteries  from your Fire TV remote and plug your Fire TV stick back into the outlet.
- Wait for your Firestick TV to reboot and then put the batteries back into the Firestick remote.
- Press the “home” button.
Fire TV Alexa Voice Remote (3rd Gen)
For the most advanced Fire TV remote, follow the steps below:
- Unplug your Fire TV streaming device from the power outlet.
- Find the left, menu, and back button pads and press and hold them down for 10 seconds.
- Let go and wait for 5 seconds before removing the batteries in the remote control.
- Plug the Firestick back and wait for it to boot up before putting the batteries back.
- Press the “home” button.
Alexa Voice Remote Lite
This is the remote that works with the Fire TV Stick Lite. To reset it, follow the below steps.
- Unplug the Fire TV Stick from the power outlet.
- Locate the left, back, and menu buttons and press for 15 seconds.
- Let go and wait 5 seconds before taking out the batteries.
- Plug the Fire TV stick back in and wait for it to power on.
- Put the batteries back in your Amazon Fire TV remote, press and hold the home button for 1-2 seconds.
Fire TV Smart TV Remotes
To reset the Fire TV Smart TV remote, the steps are easy to follow.
- Unplug your Firestick TV and make sure it shuts down completely.
- Find the left button on the remote along with the menu and back buttons.
- Hold the above buttons on your Firestick TV remotes for 12 seconds.
- Release the menu, left, and back button on the remote and wait for 5 seconds.
- Take out the remote batteries and plug in the Firestick TV again.
- Wait for 1 minute before replacing the batteries in the remote, press the home button and you’re done!
Fire TV Soundbar Remotes
If your Fire TV Soundbar remote stops working, follow these steps:
- Make sure your Amazon Firestick TV is unplugged and completely shut down.
- Press and hold the left, menu, and back buttons for 12 seconds at least.
- Wait for 5 seconds before taking out the remote batteries.
- Plug your Firestick TV in again and wait for it to pop up on the home screen.
- Wait for a minute and then put the batteries back into your Amazon Fire TV remotes.
- Press the home button to complete the process.
The steps on how to reset a Firestick remote aren’t very complicated and are similar for many Fire TV remote controls. Once your remote reverts back to factory defaults, it should start working again. If not, you can always opt to use the Fire TV remote app, which you can download from the app store for free.